Its holiday season and time to enjoy that well-earned holiday in the sun. No doubt there will be opportunities to try activities you don’t get to do at home. The kids will be demanding of your attention, and want you to play with them. While it’s a relaxing time, its also often a time when past pains can reoccur.
Here’s a few tips to keep help you enjoy your time away.
- When traveling, always use luggage with wheels. Not only does this take pressure off your back, it is much easier to manoeuvre and does not put you at risk of straining your back.
- Don’t “lift and twist” – minimise bending and lifting actions as these can place particular strain on the spinal joints. Whenever possible lift with the object directly in front of you
- Get creative with lumbar support. Many seats are not designed to provide adequate low back support. So if you anticipate sitting for an extended period of time, choose a form of lumbar support. A pillow, blanket or a small towel may be just the ticket
- Stretch before any significant activity. That long walk in the hills, or an exciting sporting activity that you don’t get to do very often
- Ice is a great anti-inflammatory if you do suffer an injury – use it as soon as possible after injury to reduce pain and swelling
- Don’t forget to do the exercises we have recommended for you, even when on holiday! Sorry to spoil your fun but sometimes this is when the dastardly devil comes back to haunt you
- Come in and see us before you go away to ensure you are in tip top shape for your holiday, so you don’t have to see us when you return!
And if you do have a problem while you are away give us a call as soon as you get back so we can help you get back in action.
Have a great time!