What is scar therapy treatment?
Scar therapy is a gentle method of working with scars to reduce adhesions in the underlying tissues improving the condition of the scar and surrounding tissues. Scars affect function. Scar therapy uses massage techniques to help release tightness around a scar and stimulate healing. This can help to improve appearance and reduce sensitivity, itching, and pain. It can also work to improve any restricted movements.
Who can benefit?
• All scars, new or older
• Surgical scars, including but not limited to c-section, orthopaedic, oncoplastic scars such as mastectomy with or without reconstruction, “flap reconstruction” (DIEP, Latissimus Dorsi, TRAM)
• Adhesions from surgical scars or cancer treatment such as cording, restricted head/ neck or limb movement.
How can it help?
• Release tightness local to the scar
• Improve range of movement to affected limbs
• Improve appearance
• Reduce sensitivity, itching, and pain
• Stimulate and boost healing
• Help improve restricted movement
What happens during the appointment?
• Full case history and assessment of the scar and surrounding structures
• Discussion and agreement of treatment and management plan
• Gentle treatment of the scar, surrounding area and any other relevant areas/ structures
• Self-care advice to continue at home
• Advice about caring and protecting for your scar
Viv is one of our osteopaths and a scar therapy practitioner. We offer a free 15 minute appointment if you would like to discuss any symptoms or questions you may have.